Monday, February 22, 2010

The little things

For the past few years, I have wanted a trench coat. A cute little number that screams spring and maybe channels a bit of "That Girl!" and 'Mary Tyler Moore". Last winter, I decided that this would be the year of the trench. My leather jacket, purchased in 2003, was still in good shape, but had overstayed its welcome.

2009 included many things, but not a trench coat. They had maternity trenches, but I just didn't see the point, especially since I wasn't showing until May-ish anyway. I waited.

Luckily for me, Santa gave me a nice little gift card to Banana Republic! Yay! I went online (time to actually GO to BR is scarce....) and ordered a trench that had a nice figure, got great reviews, and seemed to be exactly what I wanted. Until I saw the coat close up. It was longer, more square and not quite the right color. Boo. Oh well, I thought, maybe I don't have the body for a trench. Another year with old leather for me.

Since Rohan went down at 6 Saturday (a napless day from hell), and Josh was glued to Mass Effect, I ran away to the mall to run a few errands, namely, returning the rejected trench. While I was at BR, I tried on a few of their other coats to see if I liked anything. I did. Cute, khaki, big buttons, great fall, nice shape, girlish lining. The same price as the other coat, so I didn't think much of it when I walked up to the counter to exchange them.

BR Lady: (scan, check, type type type, scan, double check) Is this the only coat you received?
Me: Ummm.. yes.
BRL: Well, it seems you were sent the wrong coat.
Me: Oh! Well, that explains a lot...
BRL: So we can give you credit back on this coat.
Me: Ok. Well, I was just going to exchange them.
BRL: Well, the coat you are getting is on clearance. It's $60.
Me: Oh. Ok. Thanks.
Me in my head: Woo hoo! Take THAT Banana warehouse!

It's the little things really. A coat I wanted for ever? Check? A coat $140 less than what I thought I'd be paying? Win!

(I also picked up a pair of sunglasses that I had been eyeing for a few weeks. With the new shades and trench, I look like a milf-y spy.)

2 Comments:

Blogger tarah said...

Jealous. I've been wanting a trench for the past few years, too. And much like my winter coat search have yet to find anything that fits me in a remotely flattering manner.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

try BR - they have a good petite section...

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home