Saturday, December 26, 2009

Carbfest 2009!

About a month over due, but better late than never:)

The day after Thanksgiving, Pallavli led us to victory once again. This time, the menu read like an Italian dream - an amazing amuse bouche, two types of flatbreads (one topped with mashed potatoes), butternut squash gnocchi, and goat cheese tortellini in a braised meat sauce...sigh.


We started with with very "amoosing" dish. Pallavi molded pastry dough into mini muffin tins. I am actually not quite sure how the filling came about (I think Josh and I were putting Rolo to bed when this dish was being assembled), but as soon as they came out of the oven, they were topped with bleu cheese, pine nuts, and a few drops of truffle oil. These were amazing. I need to get the particulars for this recipe, I was thinking about making them for a new years party this weekend.
Divya hard at work rolling out sheets of pasta for the tortellini. Look at her go!
Sonal is concentrating on filling and folding. The goat cheese tortellini was amazing. Everyone had quite the assembly line going.
Ta-da! Not sure how I weaseled out of pasta-duty, (who am I kidding, of course I know how...), so I cannot take any credit for these perfect little bites. I'll get to the sauce below.
This fresh flatbread was amazing. Pallavi took pizza dough and rolled it out, baked it, and topped it with an arugula, zucchini and squash salad. She threw some chunks of gouda and sprinkled a few drops of truffle oil on top. Warm and refreshing at the same time.
This flatbread was topped with mashed potatoes. I know. Pallavi baked the potatoes and then used a ricer to make then light and smooth. She spiced the mixture, spread it over the dough and baked until there was a thin crust on top of the potato layer. Those who could handle another drop of truffle oil got one (I couldn't).

Here, we are coating the butternut squash gnocchi (baked squash, pushed through the ricer and kneaded with flour, rolled and cut) with more flour to keep them from sticking until they hit the pot. This was a little heavier than our head chef intended, but I don't think any of us minded. The flavor and texture were amazing.

A braised chicken sauce was spooned over the goat cheese tortellini. We were pretty stuffed by the time this dish was ready, but I still managed to clean my plate. Don't worry, the bottomless pit that is my stomach still had room for dessert.


6 Comments:

Blogger Riva Putra said...

not bad :)

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Kristin said...

Wow! I'd love to get the flatbread recipes!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

I'll get the exact recipes from P and send them to you:)

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Kristin said...

Thanks!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Deepa said...

Hey Kristen! Here is what Pallavi had to say about the flat bread:

The topping was plain old mashed potatoes (and by "plain old" I mean
mashed potato deliciousness...... Potatoes, milk, butter and salt).
Tricks to good flatbread:
FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT: preheat stone / whatever u r cooking on to
as hot as possible -- 500 degrees if possible. Being patient is worth
the wait.
If the pan is hot enough, u don't need to dust with cornmeal......
A spray of olive oil (on the dough after it is on the pan) is worth it.
Roll or stretch or pull ur dough..... Then let it sit for at least 15
to 20 min before cooking. This let's it relax and re-rise.
Good flatbread is all about patience.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Kristin said...

Yum! Thanks! I love our pizza stone.

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home