Saturday, December 05, 2009

Vanity and Sanity

I completely and 100% understand that there are side affects when you have a baby. The whole pushing-a-human-out-of-you thing will leave a mark. I don't think I will be rocking a two-piece this summer, and although you can no longer go cave-diving in my belly-button, I don't think it will ever be the same. I get all that and am ok with it. I knew what I was getting into. Motherhood made me rethink my vanity levels. It was probably for the best.

I also knew that there would some sacrifice in the sleep department. Fine. I get a lot less and am coping as best as I can. I have come to terms with this as well. It will be a while before I get a solid 8 hours. Nursing or no, I will probably still be getting up in the middle of the night to make sure he is still breathing. Sanity may take a hit, but it is what it is. I am not the only parent who needs a nap here and there.

I knew my professional life would take a hit as well. I can't stay later and finish up a project just because I am in a work groove. I have to watch the clock so I can make the right bus home to relieve the sitter. There are more phone calls home and more waiting on hold with the doctors office when I have a question. The aforementioned sleep issues have an obvious effect on my focus. I think this will get better once our day-care is more consistent, but for the next few weeks at least, I have to work extra hard to get the same amount done. Fine and dandy. I am living the life of a working mom. All part of the deal.

What was NOT part of the deal however, is this! (Look here too - I am not making this up!). WTF, Mother Nature! You didn't think that the stretched skin and eye bags and sore arms were enough? You had to go ahead and take our HAIR, too? Have you no mercy? No shame? You're a woman too, right? A women and a MOTHER, Mother Nature. Have a heart. Let me keep my hair. If I have to clean out my hairbrush, sweep the bathroom floor, wipe hair out of the sink, pick the hair off of my little boy's clothes, and pull hair out of my freaking toothpaste cap one more time, I may cry.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the links were going to be photos of tumbleweed sized hair balls made of your hair. I'm a little disappointed.

AV

6:49 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

haha you SAW me last week! you already know how thin it is:)

7:26 PM  
Blogger Tracey said...

You know, I was going to warn you about this (I actually said it to Tarah) @ Mizu, but I didn't want to kill your beauty buzz. I not only had clumps of hair falling out, I got a nice nickel-sized bald spot too, so it could be worse.

Think about it this way: your body makes lots of extra stuff when you're preggers. You might have lost some of your hair, but at least you won't be making so much mucous, either. Good luck!

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home