Friday, October 30, 2009

1st day of school!

"Rohan had a fantastic first day at the Children's Center! He is such a happy baby and so smiley when meeting his new friends! Rohan loved watching one of the older infants crawl around the classroom. He kicked his feet and practiced his strong voice while playing with the lights and sounds gym. This activity will help his gross motor movement. Soon he will be crawling too!"

Yesterday, Rolo came to work with me, and I dropped him off at the back-up day care in my building. He had a very exciting day: new friends, more bottle feeding, AND a fire drill. I was on the 7th floor and he was on the 3rd, so as we were filing down the staircase, I tried to get into the his floor, but the door was locked. Inside I am frantic and screaming "WHERE IS MY BABY!" and on the outside, I am joking with coworkers on how we would all burn in a real fire because we are all moving so slowly. (I think my friend Kerri saw my crazy mom eyes, though...) The day care staff and kids were all in the lobby (they didn't have to go outside), so I made a bee-line for Rolo with tears in my eyes. He was totally unfazed by the alarm, just held on to my neck and watched all the people file out of the building. "Who ARE all these people and why aren't the fawning over me?" his face said.

The day went really well, no fussing, no crying, lots of playing. The night, however, was a different story. I was told that being away from home/mommy all day jars the baby a little, and that certainly happened here. He was up and feeding every two hours last night, I think just to make sure mommy and daddy were still there and would come when he called. This morning, he played with Josh for over an hour and was laughing the whole time I fed him this morning. Rolo is fine. I, however, am having an incredibly hard time leaving for work this morning. On one hand, I know he needs to get used to being away from me all day, and on the other hand I am thinking "why am I training my baby to be away from me!". Sigh.

To end this post on a happy note, here is a picture of Rolo hard at work at the office.


Blogger Kerri said...

I definitely could see the craziness in your eyes! When the third floor door didn't open, you seemed WAY too calm. I knew you must have been a nervous wreck inside. What mother wouldn't be?! I love the picture of him in that chair!

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Courtney said...

Well, I'm glad it all worked out, and if it ever happens again, just know that everyone there is a professional and they know EXACTLY what to do in case of fire--drill or otherwise! But I can understand how you were worried. But just think: You both survived this scare. You're growing as a mom/baby duo!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Kiwi said...

Awww, sorry you had that scare... and yeah I can't imagine how hard it must be to learn to not spend as much time with him anymore :(

But I agree, it seems like a totally normal motherly reaction and hey exactly - so glad that it was a drill and good practice, despite the uncomfortable stress and worry - at least now you'll be much more prepared if the real thing ever happens (God forbid it ever does, but better to be prepared!)

That 'My pumpkin patch' thing is too cute hehe, and the chair photo is adorable!! :)

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home