Sunday, February 07, 2010

baby steps!

I WENT TO THE GYM TODAY! I write this in all caps, because this gym trip was about a year in the making.

Ok sure, from April (ok, fine, March) until July, I was very pregnant. My 2nd trimester energy, which fueled about 4-5 trips to the gym a week, plummeted. Going in the morning was out, since I usually woke up a little light-headed after only a few hours sleep. After work, all I wanted was the couch and a foot-rub and a meal. Going to the gym was not really high on my to-do list.

The first three months after Rolo was born, I went on a lot walks with him (I aimed for about 2 hours a day), but no gym. I was tied to Rohan's feeding schedule, and then when Josh got home in the evenings, all I wanted to do was sit and unwind a little. Leaving the house and running in place after 12 hours with a baby was also not high on my to-do list.

Then I went back to work in October. Even if I had the energy to go during lunch, I spent all my free time in the "mother's room". After work, I rushed home to make the 5pm feeding. No energy. No time. No gym.

Now, nursing is over. Rohan is sleeping through the night (for the most part) and we have help with the baby and around the house. Josh and I have also worked out a system; one of us in charge of diapers, naps, feedings, baths, and bedtime two days a week and one day on the weekend (I have Mondays and Wednesdays off, we play the weekends by ear). Theoretically, I could come home, kiss the baby, kiss the husband and hop in the car and go to the gym. Have I? Of course not. It is way more fun to cuddle and play and snack and make dinner with Josh and Rohan in the high chair. Who wants to leave that? Not me.

But I must. My nursing body is fading away. I no longer fit into my size 4s. (Boo.) All my muscles are tight and sore. My back hurts. Walking up hills makes me feel winded. I am severely out of shape.

This is the plan. Yoga on Sundays (just came back from class! yay!), boxing on Wednesday nights (starts at 7:30, totally doable). and rock climbing on Saturdays (when possible - we start next weekend).

Once the weather gets better, maybe I can also start taking Rohan on walks in the evenings. I also want to start running at the gym during the day. This will obviously depend on my workload. I used to do it; I just need to get back into the habit - lugging my clothes back and forth, showering during the day... blah.

Anyway. This is it. I am tired of feeling soft. I want to be in shape again. I want to be able to stretch and not feel pain. I want to actually jog with the jogging stroller and not walk up all the hills. I want to hit the beach with confidence this summer. I am in a wedding this summer and everyone else in the wedding is beyond hot. I need to step up my game so I don't ruin those pictures:)

2 Comments:

Blogger tarah said...

I did not have a baby as an excuse, but I feel the same way!! I even put my work out nights into the calendar. However - that has gone to shit this week and last, but with good reason. I have managed to wake up before work and do a 30 minute video or Wii workout, at least. Next week!! I swears it. (morning routine also on the agenda for next week)

11:53 AM  
Blogger Deepa said...

it's aaaaaaalways next week...:)

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home