Sunday, May 24, 2009

just keep swimming...

Friday ended with the words, "Josh, if I EVER want to spend the day walking around the city again, shoot me." 

We both had Friday off, and Josh and I had a Groupon for a car detailing. The problem was, we had to drop it off in Brighton around 8am and pick up was at 5. Initially, I was really excited. With all the baby stuff and errands we had been doing, we didn't have much couple-time. A whole day of walking around and just spending time together sounded divine. 

Cut to a 1 am Thursday bedtime and a 6:30 am wake up call. We were dragging our feet and almost went to my mom's house (near the detail place) to sleep on the couch all day. But it was too nice a day, and like hell if I was spending my day off on some couch, so we decided to rally. 

Off to the aquarium! I can't even remember the last time I was there. It has been at least 20 years, if not more. Let me just say, the New England Aquarium is pretty awesome. Sure we were there with like 17 field trips, but Josh and I really enjoyed ourselves. My camera ran out of batteries pretty early on in the day (of course), but I got a few good shots here and there. 

I couldn't seem to capture the jellyfish, though. They had a whole room of all these different kids of jellyfish downstairs and it was mesmerizing. Sure we saw sharks and penguins and huge turtles and these amazing sea horses and electric eels, and Josh was just too adorable getting excited and pointing out fish in all the different tanks, but those jelly fish were the highlight of the day. If you are in the area, be sure to check it out. 

After seeing all these funky crabs and 10-pound lobsters, we went and had lunch at the Barking Crab. What? I think the day could have ended there, but we still had 4 hours to kill, so we literally dragged ourselves to the park. Like, we each had to stop and sit on a bench somewhere every few blocks. It was pretty pathetic.

A few hours lying in the park, then off to Brighton to pick up the car, THEN off to my mom's to check on the house, THEN home. Home, sweet, sweet home. We had granola bars and hummus in bed for dinner, and I was asleep by 8. Eight months pregnant + 80 degree weather + 4 hours of sleep + walking around all day = the first time my feet swelled. So not doing that again...

Anyway, below are the pre-battery poop out pics from the aquarium - enjoy!

These sharks were seriously scary. And the way the tank was set up, these sharks would just sneak up on me and I would literally scream and jump back. "They can't leave the tank," Josh kept telling me. Maybe not, but those dead dead eyes. Shudder.
This turtle was awesome. He actually took a nip at the diver who was in the tank; it was pretty intense...
Josh's hand in the shot, just to give you a sense of how big he was.

Ever moving jellyfish were hard to photograph. 
This is actually a sea horse! It blended into the seaweed in his habitat. Evolution os awesome. 
These rays were interesting. Their undersides looked like happy faces and some of them had very unique camouflage. 


Blogger Nicole said...

You found Nemo! Awww! Marlin would be so happy!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

Haha! We didn't se any Dories. We DID see those crazy fish that live in the dark. They are just as scary as the one in the movie...

3:28 PM  
Blogger Tracey said...

Hahaha--you will be spending so much time at the aquarium & the park with the babe, it's funny you're going now! ;)

8:51 PM  
Blogger Kiwi said...

Great pictures!!!!

And btw, I LOVE aquariums. Seeing this post made me extra excited haha!

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home