Wednesday, July 15, 2009

flipping my bandana

Cabin fever has officially set in. Every night, I come home and settle in on the couch and stay there until bedtime. I have no energy to cook, clean up, go for a walk, run errands, or otherwise leave the house/couch. And it is driving me crazy. I actually look forward to going into the office, and am a little sad that tomorrow is my last day (I'll be working from home starting Friday)

There is NOTHING on TV, Netflix didn't come yesterday, and there are only so many baths and showers you can take before you start feeling guilty about the envoinment. Help me.

Send me book recs! i just finished Revolutiionary Road and loved it, but I think I need something a little bit more upbeat to pass the time...

9 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I totally feel your pain! I was so restless in the last few weeks of my pregnancy.

Have you ever read Ahab's Wife? It is my favorite book and the one I always recommend to people. Such a wonderful leading lady in the book!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Deepa said...

Ooh - I am a huge fan of that book! I loved the writing style and you are spot on about the lead character. It might be time for a reread - thanks:)

If you like Ahab's Wife, you may also like Last Days of Dogtown by Anita Diamant (of The Red Tent fame). Same type of setting, but the characters aren't as strong.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe something by Elinor Lipman? Her stuff is funny and light without being totally vapid.

AV

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Kristin said...

Still Alice by Lisa Genova
In the Woods by Tana French
Anything by Anne Tyler or Kristin Hannah...

4:33 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

thanks guys! i added a few of your recs to my goodreads list - now I just need to get my somerville library card activated:)

6:34 PM  
Blogger tarah said...

Wally Lamb has a new book. It's totally going on my beach week list.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Jackson said...

I wouldn't call it "upbeat", per se, but I thought The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle By Haruki Murakami was one of the best books I had read in years.

4:08 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

I read that a few years ago. I appreciated Murakami's style, but couldn't get into the book itself. I also tried Norwegian Wood, which I liked a little better. If you haven't already read it and like TWUBC, I would recommend it. Let me know what you think.

9:10 PM  
Blogger SR said...

Ok, bear with me here, my friend, a Potter fan, said she recently read the Twilight series and liked it! She said, it's not LIKE Harry Potter, but she would put them on the same scale.

I'm just saying. You have a ton of free time. :)

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home