Friday, July 03, 2009

ironic or just insulting?

I decided to compromise. If I gave in and bought the Bliss products I wanted (this and this), I would not buy the Fresh cleanser and even give up my beloved Kiehls exfoliate, since the cleanser has an exfoliate in it, and no one shouldn't over-exfoliate, lest their skin dry out. Forgive me, I digress.

After looking longingly at the Bliss website for a week, I decided to just spend the money and get the products. I realized that besides a discounted Groupon facial, one massage, and a few pedicures, I really haven't spent a lot of money on "meepa" since Christmas. The only thing I have been spending money on is maternity clothes, and even then, I bought regular clothes that I could wear after the pregnancy as well. And the Bliss stuff smells really nice and makes me happy and I am 37 weeks pregnant, dammit!

Off to Sephora! Noel and I went after a nice long lunch on Thursday. After picking out what I wanted (and a little something something, Noel's recommendation), my attention was drawn to the Philosophy display. I was looking for a good bubble bath. Time in the jacuzzi has increased in the past few weeks, and I was thinking of branching out from the eucalyptus salts that Josh bought me last winter.

Not seeing anything I wanted to buy, I turned the corner to see what else Philosophy had to offer and saw the "face stuff". Anti-aging, anti-wrinkle, anti-this, anti- that. I didn't know Philosophy was in that market as well. I, personally, am not there yet, but I have 2 and half years until I turn 30.... it's only a matter of time. It's aaaaaaaaall about prevention, people.

What tickled me about the product was the name. Hope. They actually called their anti-old line "Hope". What message are the trying to send? Are they trying to be ironic or is "hope" the genuine sentiment they want to put forward.

Now I can't be too indignant. I am cleansing and exfoliating and all that to make my skin tight and clean and smooth, and I do want to keep this skin as long as possible. I want the young looking hands and cellulite-free thighs and smooth elbows. I am not ashamed to say so, nor I am ashamed to spend a little money to get all this. Maybe what struck me was Philosophy's brazen labeling choice.

Is selling "hope" in a jar too obvious? Why not just call it "Defiance" or "Denial" or even "Oh God No!" Thoughts?

*********************

Ok, so I just saw this, this and this. I am officially amused.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Kristin said...

Did you end up getting the Philosophy products? Personally, my skin didn't agree with them...but that might just be me.
Also to enable, you must frequent this site: www.makeupalley.com
You can check reviews on products, ask for advice and have a lot of fun creating new "lemmings."

8:53 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

I didn't end up getting any Philosophy bath stuff, mainly bc I blew my budget on Bliss.

Thanks for the site rec!

11:18 PM  
Blogger SR said...

Goodness me! Hope, and then, when Hope is not not enough?! Like when you you hit (gasp!) 40?! They should start selling a mature skin product line, and they should call it "Anti-Suicide" or "I refuse to slit my wrists" or something similar! Jesus!

One would like to think that intelligent women out there, ones who can afford these insulting products (how about "Revenge" for really old women? It could be a full make up line that makes octogenarians look sexy and trick the world?), one would think that they would be offended by this marketing ploy, but I fear that "defiance" and "denial" and "I'll try anything" (another great product line, btw. I can just see it, I'll try anything's horse urine salve for chapped lips and laugh lines) is stronger than righteous indignance.

7:38 AM  
Blogger SR said...

I'm totally trackbacking this post onto my blog. The more I think about it, the pisseder I'm getting. In an amused way.

Oh, my spam protection word right now? Stabion. ?!

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, and I have less than 1.5 years before 3-0. Damn you for being 10 months younger than me!

AV

11:00 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

haha - you have great skin! so does your mom! you're golden.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home