Thursday, July 16, 2009

synchronize your watches!

I know you all sick of hearing about this, but it is only going to get worse before it gets better.

I am already not a very patient person and I hate hate hate not having control over a situation. I don't need to know the exact time, just the day would be nice. Do you hear that, mango? Morse code the date in kicks and you will have a happy mom.

Scheduling is a main issue here - not for me (today is my last day in the office, I am golden after about 1:30 today), but for my mom. While she lives about 20 minutes away, her weeks are spent in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, which means she will have at least a 4 hour drive to come back if she is not in town when the big moment starts happening. Granted, labor takes hours and unless I have a crazy quick labor, I am pretty confident that she will be there. But still.

We worked out a schedule that should be fine. She is back in town tonight and around this weekend, and then will be working from home all next week or until I have the baby. If I don't have the baby by Tuesday (my actual due date), my doctor said they will just induce next week, which means there will be a baby by Friday at the latest. Even if it is Friday, my mom will have the whole weekend and probably Monday before she has to go back. What we are hoping, though, is that the baby is born this weekend or early next week. Then she can just take next week off and that will be that!

My sister is a different story. Her schedule is not as flexible; she will probably just come up the first weekend after the little mango is born. So for her to be there, I really do need to go into labor tonight.

My doctor is another thing altogether. We are at MGH, which means that when I do go into labor, I will not have my OB, but the OB on call. Well, my OB is on call today. While I am 100% sure nothing is going to happen today, it would be nice. My mom will be here, my sister can come this weekend, and I will have my own doctor for the delivery. Everyone wins!

So when you pray for contractions (and I know you all are, right?) think good thoughts about today (after 1:30ish), Friday, and this weekend. Anything later than Mondayish should work too, but I just won't have my mom around for as long. Hmm... I may have to write to Obama about paid grand-maternity leave...

ETA: I just remembered one crucial kink in the plan. Divya has Paul McCartney tickets for tomorrow night and has made it clear that Paul trumps mango. Even if the mango ripens today, we all won't be seeing my sister until late Saturday morning at the earliest. Maybe she can pick up a cute onesie at Shea:)

7 Comments:

Blogger tarah said...

taking a note from Friend's -
Eat spicy food, go for a long walk, have sex. ...I think there were others in there too.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

thats what everyone says! "the book" (our pregnancy guide) says that while all these things may cause contractions (the spicy food will just cause bloating), none of them cause actual labor. like, as soon as I stop walking, my contractions would stop, etc.

trust me, i looked into it.

1:03 PM  
Blogger tarah said...

Friend's doesn't lie! La la la I can't hear you!!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

LOL!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Tracey said...

Good luck, Deepa!

On a practical note, do you have 5 sick days to use if mango does arrive Monday? 'cause it takes 5 calendar days for Short Term Disability to kick in, and if kiddo is born on Monday, your sick days/PTO has to cover the weekdays.

Yes, the process, leaving it up to your employer's mercy (or lack of), & not having enough time--not to mention all the paperwork!--for parental leave blows.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Deepa said...

Hmm... I think it may be different where I am... I talked to HR and my maternity leave will kick in the day the mango show up (I am still working, but just not going into the office). I'll double check about that once again - thanks for the heads up!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Mango, why aren't you here yet?! We all want to meet you!

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home