Thursday, May 20, 2010

missing out

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of spending three days with some wonderful, wonderful women. There was drinking and laughing and eating and eating and walking and eating. It was New Orleans, after all! It was a wonderful time and a much needed change of scenery, but on Saturday night, I realized that, no matter how far away from my family I may be, I couldn't stop being thinking about my new role as a parent.

After getting up early (4:30 - yeesh) on Friday morning and staying up til 3am Saturday morning (double yeesh!) to make sure all members of the party weekend had landed and made it to their beds, I was wiped. Although my cat nap Saturday afternoon helped, by 9pm Saturday night, I was feeling it. It has been this way since high school. If I miss too much sleep, I get sick. Stayed up til 3 finishing a paper on Monday night? Out sick Wednesday. Out drinking Thursday, Friday and Saturday? Out sick Tuesday (or at least, in VERY bad shape). Saturday night was no different. I could feel that tickle in my throat; my eyes were burning; I started coughing.
Now, if this was two years ago, it would have been a no brainer. One of my most favorite people in the world was getting married! We were at a piano bar! Hurricanes! WOO! And if I did what I wanted, I would have been in rough shape Sunday and Monday, but some couch time and a few good nights' sleep and all would have been fine.

But I knew that wasn't an option. As soon as I got back home, it would be 5am wake-ups, making meals and cleaning bottles, laundry, bathtime. And I couldn't do that to Josh. He was in charge of Rohan's feeding and sleeping and naps for three days. To ask him to do it another three days while I slept off my weekend was not fair.

I used to say "I really can't afford to get sick" all the time, but it was easy to convince me to stay a little longer. I knew that if I was laid out for a few days, it would be my own fault and my own problem to solve. Now, when I say "I really can't afford to get sick", it's actually true.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fairweather New Englander said...

No worries - you made it way later than I did!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

dude - you have a good excuse!

plus, as i was telling becca this week, part of me was sad to miss the fun, but another part of me fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home