Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rohan who?

Like many parents, we do not call our son by his first name. His given name is for day care and bank accounts. Instead, we use one of the many, MANY nicknames he has collected in the past 7 months.

When he was first born, my mom pulled out every name from her Marati pet name arsenal. Out of the dozens of names she used, for some reason, "Chingu" stuck with me and Josh. This is by far his most common name. We call him "Chingu", but refer to him as "The Chingu". 'Did you check on The Chingu?" "We have to make The Chingu's food for tomorrow." "Can you start The Chingu's bath?" I have a feeling this one will stick.

From Chingu/The Chingu came the following:
Chingu Changu
Chingu Bingu
Chingu, Changu, Holiday Inn

My mom also calls him "Babe-du," which is a pretty common pet name for a baby. It only has two syllables, but in all his white-ness, Josh added another one and made it "Baby-du" aka "The Baby-du". From Baby-du came Babba-du and Babe-u. We usually put a "The" in front of those as well.

As the Indian diminutive puts an "u" at the end of words/names (see Deepu Thai), Pup-u, Stink-u, and Monk-u started floating around as well. "Tumm-u" and Motu (Marati for "Fatty") are also thrown around here and there.

Based on these nicknames, there are the names we actually call our son. As in, when I am feeding or playing with him, I try to get his attention with the following:
"Monk-u Babe-u"
"Monk-u Babba-du"
"Chingu Pup-u Babe-u"
"Stink-u Pup-u Babe-u" - this is a changing table favorite

The nanny calls him "Guapo" for obvious reasons. My sister calls him "Oi! Hagrid", because he is huge, and "Baby!", which my mom hates. And my mom, who started all this, now calls him "Goud-um-bee-chi-bee", which means the sweetest seed in the sweetest fruit. I like that one the best.


ETA - I forgot Monkey-Mu, which has become popular this past few weeks. Also, how could I forget NON-family nicknames, which include Chunkers and Tummers? Poor kid.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could have written this about my cats. They have soooooo many names, but the most common are probably Wooly Worm for Bullock and Jane Jane Bunny Butt for Calamity Jane. And collectively they are The Chirpies, among other names. I can't believe I'm admitting to this on the internet.

AV

2:46 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

haha - i left off quite a few for Rohan - Chiptu being one of them... Josh read this and was like - he is going to be so messed up...

3:15 PM  
Blogger tarah said...

Nicknames are funny - especially when the one with all the names can't respond (fight) back.

Bailey (dog) has transformed into: (top 3)
Bailey-butt
Bailey-monster
Bailey-bartothomue

(happy?)

3:46 PM  
Blogger tarah said...

actually, Bailey-dog is another one frequently used. And sometimes I just call her Dog.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

i AM happy. you rock.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home