Friday, September 08, 2006


ugh - has it really been two weeks since my last post. sorry guys. well, at least i am not as bad as some people (ahem - HEATHER!)

much has happened and every time i did something, i was like, this would make a really good blog. so instead of writing about each one in length, i will just give you an overview. less typing for me and you all still get the point.

josh was away last weekend and i spent my first weekend since we moved in home alone. it was hard. as some of you know, i do not sleep well alone. i need someone else in the room or house just as a comforting thought. i try to stay away from scary movies when possible, but the ones i HAVE seen dance through my head the minute i turn off the lights. so thursday night i was up late talking to becca. it was nice to have a solid 2.5 hour convo, but by 12:30 i was feeling my eyelids droop and fell asleep around 1. so friday morning was not fun, but i didn’t spend much time up and scared.

friday night i went out salsa dancing with some friends from class. i felt VERY weird not going with josh, since this was not a night out of the girls where we all drink and dance with each other. you dance with boys and they have their hands everywhere and it made me uncomfortable. but josh kept insisting so he was ok with it, and so i was like, ok i can sit at home on a friday alone, or i can go out and meet new people and try new things. so i went. and it was an eye opener. first of all, the crowd was older, in their 30's at least. there were a few younger girls who were VERY much younger. you could tell they just turned 21 and were thrilled to be out. the other thing was you couldn’t dance unless a guy asked you to. also, the people here were not out to meet people and mingle, they were there to salsa dance. SO guys only asked you to dance if they knew you were good. as i had no "street cred" here, only one guy from class asked me to dance (a disaster - i kept getting off beat and laughing and he just gave up on me - bye bye street cred!) and i did some freestyling. other than that i just watched and hung out with people. mimi (the friend with which i went) brought all her friends, who were awesome. funny, gorgeous, great dressers. i felt very intimidated. one was 5 months pregnant, so she didn’t do much dancing. another one pointed out a woman on the dance floor with a tight skirt and short hair tearing it up and said it was her mother. we ran into all her aunts and cousins in the bathroom and it was a family reunion. the sense of community and family was amazing. the "gang" is going back in a few wee, so josh and i are going to head down. then i can dance and not be judged:)

so i got home at 2ish on saturday morning, resulting in a 12am wake up and the next 5 hours spent on the couch. i WAS going to go to home depot and start on the bathroom, but just didnt have the energy. i didn’t drink (since i was driving) but it sure felt like i did. around 4 i threw some veggies in a quiche and that was my breakfast lunch and dinner. then allie and holli came over and it was off to harvard! we had a really good time and got hit on by a nerdy russian who had the WORST pick up lines ever. but we did give him credit for having the nerve to come up to three gorgeous girls and interrupt their conversation.

sunday was spent in the car. went to home dept around 10 and bought everything i needed for the bathroom. i was still feeling the effects of friday (i am SO old) and i was raining so i wasn't gung ho about the museum plans i had with laura, but a quick phone call showed me she was, and that was pretty much all i needed to get me out of the funk. showered and hungry i went to my parent's for some lunch and then thought it would be best to just drive to the MFA (they live on boylston). so i did.

little did i know that northeastern freshmen were MOVING IN THAT DAY. i got stuck with all the non-boston drivers in mini vans and U-Hauls and wanted to kill myself. I went behind the MFA to look for parking, found none (obviously, why did I even try) and then when i tried to get back to mass ave, i got caught in the 9th circle of hell. for an hour. while my brain was expanding out of my eye sockets, laura called me and told me that they exhibit had sold out. so i picked her up at the MFA and went to atrium mall and brought my serotonin levels up with some cheesecake factory. it was awesome and good to have some downtime with laura (hi laura!)

then back to my parents place to wait for josh's flight to come in. what was a two hour wait turned into a 3.5 hour wait bc of the weather and then back into the city to pick up josh. it was fine, except i didn’t make the first right out of the tunnel in south boston (90 is closed, thanks a lot stupid mobsters) and we took the scenic route back to sturrow drive/ mem drive. needless to say, nothing got done in the bathroom.

so monday, bright and early, i turned on the iTunes and started sanding things down. josh came in and tried to hammer the reality of the situation into me. the walls were crumbling. we would need to strip them down if we wanted to spackle and then sand and THEN paint. a simple sand/spackle on the problem areas wouldn't cut it. i was disappointed. this was far more than i had bargained for. i wanted to give up. i hate our bathroom.

do you really hate it?
yes. look at it! we are living like refugees (with pink toilets and running water, but whatever)
and it means a lot to you to make it better?

so josh got out the powersander. he sanded, he spackled, he sanded a again. he was amazing.

by 4 the spackle was dry. i steamed some mussels, we had dinner and then i went to work. i cleaned the dust and started painting. i called josh in for the parts i couldn’t reach and he held the ladder for the parts i could. by 8 the second coat was on and i was cleaning up the drops of paint on the floor. our bathroom already looked better and i realized what a patient, giving man i had.

today we are going to get all the pretty things, a new mirror, some shelves, new rugs and mats to complete the transition. the tiles, tub, sink and toilet will still be pink, but now it doesn’t look as bad as it did. i will post pictures as soon as it is all set.

so to recap: home alone, salsa, bathroom, great husband. this past week was another interview with a financial consultant, drinks with friends who moved a street over and house on netflix. sigh - images of hugh laurie. the perfect way to end anything.


Post a Comment

<< Home