Wednesday, July 22, 2009

accentuate the positive

Well, apparently my last post seemed "melancholy" and "dejected". Sorry guys; I didn't mean to be such a downer. I was hoping for better news from the doctor, and knowing that I may need to wait more than a week to meet the kiddo put me in a bad mood yesterday.

To counteract all this negativity, I made a list of all things that got me through this pregnancy. Some were due to luck and great genes and others due to the wonderful people in my life. When I feel impatient and frustrated and antsy, this list should make me feel much much better.

1 - No morning sickness! Sure I was queasy during my 1st trimester, but I didn't actually throw up because of this queasiness. The queasiness also limited my diet, which meant I shed about 8-10 pounds! Hmm.. this should get its own number...

2 - 1st trimester body. I was rocking my skinny clothes like a pro. Very little beats the feeling of being able to slip off your pants without having to unzip or unbutton anything. :)

3 - Minimal weight gain. Not quite sure how this one happened. My mom didn't gain much weight with me and my sister, so it is probably genetic luck. Every time I went in for a check up, my doctor and the nurses commented on how happy they were with how much weight I was gaining. Apparently, I am "all baby". It's been about a pound a week for the last month or so, and I hate seeing those numbers continue to climb, but I need to remember that it's the baby, not me. (We are looking at at 6.5-7.5 pounder, according to my doctor).
Lately, however, my promise to eat healthy is quickly slipping away. We will see what this "minimal weight gain"means for the months after the baby is born. Here's hoping I can get back to my 1st trimester numbers....

4 - No swelling! On really hot days when I was on my feet for more than 5 hours, the feet and ankles did swell up, but in the morning, they were back to normal. I know how shallow it sounds, but I can't help it. My ankles make me happy. Thanks again, mom! Your genes love my ankles as much as I do!

5 - My health. Not only did I escape pregnancy complications (knock on wood), but I somehow managed not to get sick this whole time. Josh was bedridden four separate times this winter, but the baby protected me from whatever he had. I can't even imagine how much it would have sucked to be up all night coughing or sneezing in addition to the backaches and neck pain from sleeping on my side.

6 - My company. Everyone was happy and excited for me and incredibly supportive. My 2nd trimester blood pressure drops were not an issue, as friends came running with water and juice at the drop of an IM. My bosses did everything they could so that I could work from home towards the end. I am incredibly lucky that my group at work had such a great attitude. I hear horror stories from people like my hairdresser (on her feet all day, snide comments from clients about her size) and realize how good I have it at work.

7 - My family and friends. What can I say? I couldn't have done it without them. From the phone calls, to the emails, to the visits, to the amazing baby shower, this whole thing would have been a lot less fun without them. I can't wait for every one else to start getting knocked up so I reciprocate all the support and happiness. You hear that, people! Start your baby-making engines!

8 - My mom. I woke her up "the night of the pregnancy test" with the news and she has been with me every step of the way. I have called her with every concern, every question, every time I just needed to vent. I love my mom, that is no secret. The last 7 months or so has made me appreciate her so much more than I did before. Her level headed advice has provided much-needed balance to my somewhat... ummmm... emotional disposition.

9 - The jacuzzi tub. Not on the same level of my mom, but some days, it is a close call (kidding, kidding!). When our house was renovated in 2005, jacuzzi tubs were all the rage. Due to water and energy concerns however, I think they have fallen out of favor recently. Although we were happy to have one, we didn't actually plan to use it. All that water... and who has the time to take a bath?
Apparently, I do. The warm water and jets have been a godsend on my leg, back, and neck muscles. Initially, I was afraid to stay in there too long, lest I do anything to the baby, but now, I am not so worried, as my belly is so big, it floats above the water level like some island in the Pacific. I am planning to take one soon after I finish writing this:) Sweet sweet jacuzzi.

10- No stretch marks! (Knock on wood - there is still time for that). I have my mom to thank for this one as well. I used the Tummy Butter to help the itching and soothe the discomfort of stretching, but haven't had any visible stretch marks yet. Again, shallow I know, but it is nice.

11 - All the "stuff". Ahava foot lotion, Bliss facial scrub, my fancy shampoos, the bath salts Josh got me, "fake Josh" the body pillow, the pedicures from Wet Paint, the massages from Boston Body Workers.... all these creature comforts have made foot rubs, showers, even sleep a little more luxurious. The smells of the soaps and lotions instantly put me at ease and make those nightly showers feel like mini spa trips. The body pillow got me through the night for the past 5 months. The pedicures and massages got me through particularly tough weeks. Would I have survived without all these things? Sure. Would I have complained a lot more? You betcha.

12 - Josh. (Warning: this will be sappy and disgusting. Read at your own risk). He has been my rock throughout this whole thing. With me every step of the way, he has made me laugh when I needed it, hugged me when I needed it, and knew when to tell me to suck it up and stop complaining (nicely, of course). As soon as my energy level started dropping a few months ago, he has taken over all the cooking and clean up, most of the chores, all of the errands, the grocery shopping... the list goes on. He has taken me to Target and waited patiently when I just felt like wandering the aisles, called 13 police stations to find someone to install the car seat as a surprise, dropped me off at work my last week in the office, picked me up countless times at Davis when I just couldn't deal with the bus, sacrificed time with his friends when I was feeling extra needy, and after a long day at work, after making dinner, after cleaning up the kitchen, and after getting me juice/water/candy/whatever I think I need while we watch TV, he STILL summons the energy to give me the best foot rubs in the world. If that's not love, I don't know what is.
I can see how bad he feels when he can't do anything to help me, and it hurts me to see him upset like that. If he could take on any of this pain or discomfort, I know he would in a second. All the errands and silliness and dinners and foot rubs are just the icing on that cake.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second that you have fabulous ankles. Having a baby would totally have not been worth ruining them.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Deepa said...

Haha - thank you my darling!

Originally, I had 3 or 4 sentences in there about how awesome my ankles where, but my sister told me to edit it out. She said I sounded obnoxious. Then again, she hasn't seen me in the Halstons...

9:27 AM  
Blogger Mattison Pro-Freelance said...

You're a bright light Deepa. I was in kind of a crabby mood this morning, and reading this brought me back to gratitude. Thank you!

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home