Thursday, June 05, 2008

love

like most people in boston, i have a love/hate relationship with the T. Accidents, tardiness, gropey college kids, drunks, insane game day crowds, you name it, we all hate it. But sometimes, a T experience can start your day off on a high note.

This morning I was reading my BRAND NEW DAVID SEDARIS BOOK! (SQUEEE!) on the T and from time to time would violently shake with suppressed laughter. I probably looked like a crazy person. The lady sitting next to me turned her attention to me, probably to help me get through my stoke, and saw I was just laughing. I showed her the cover of my book and she said she would check it out. As I flipped to the "other books by this author" page, I said, "Read "Me Talk Pretty One Day" first. His early books are funny, but very dark. He takes a little getting used to." As she scribbled the names and titles on a receipt, she told me in a charming accent, "I'm from Russia. Nothing is too dark for me." "He seemed really angry when he was younger, but now that he is older..." "He mellowed out. I understand." Just met and we are finishing each other's sentences!

We laughed and before I went back to my silent convulsions, she told me how the T doors on the train before this one closed in her face. She banged on the doors, but the train pulled away, leaving her to wait for this one. "And now I know why!" she said happily, pointing to her notes, "I was planning to go to the library today!" We laughed again. I told her how he reads all his audio books and that she should check those out too. And that he comes to Boston to read every fall. And that he writes for the New Yorker a lot. Then I realized I was rambling and went back to my book.

Kindred spirits on the T = love.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kiwi said...

Aww, that's such a cute story. It's SO nice to meet sweet genuine people (since it's a rarity sometimes around here unfortunately), what a great way to start your morning :)

11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know he had a new book out!!!!!!


AV

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once had a woman very nervously hand me a Christmas card in order to have me decide whether I thought it was funny. She was going to pass it around her office, so she needed a second opinion. It was weird.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

what can i saw courtney - you attract the weirdos:)

A - it's calld "When you are Engulfed by Flames" Hilarious.

2:06 PM  
Blogger H said...

did you see dave on the Daily Show the other night? so funny!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Deepa said...

i knew he was on, but couldn't stay up -i'll check it out online.

thanks for the reminder:)

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home